Archive for the 'Rear Axle' Category

Rear axle almost in.

Small update today, just to show I’m alive and working. I have assembled the trailing arms for the rear axle and fit everything into place. The rear axle brackets are very tough, as are the trailing arms, so I am confident in my design thus far. The goal now is to find wheels for cheap, to get the coil over shocks for cheap, to build the Panhard Rod, and then it’s onto the front suspension. An exciting time, as the car is almost standing on it’s own.

trailingarms1.JPG  welding1.JPG

Back to work…

I’ve not updated here in a while, mostly because I haven’t done much on the car. I have been doing a great deal of traveling this Summer, with family and friends. I went to Quebec, Montreal, Disneyland, Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Atlanta, and many places right around Connecticut, and there is still time for more! But for now it is back to the Locost.

A few weeks ago I was in Atlanta visiting my friend Andrew. He is also building a Locost, but is just about finished with his. My goodness what a blast his was to drive! It’s loud, fast, missing seatbelts, a floor and and body panels, requires the passenger to carry a fire extinguisher (luckily never used), has some non-functional gauges, and it is the most fun I’ve ever had in a car. A video of us taking it out for a ride can be found here: Driving The Locost. Anyway, after spending many hours in the dirt working on his Locost, and learning a ton from Andrew, I figure I should get back to my own.

The rear axle now has two suspension brackets, tho both need to be cleaned up and welded on. I ordered a bunch of weld in bungs for the trailing arms and front suspension, and with any luck the rear axle should be in soon. For more on the design of the rear suspension go to the parts design page.

I also ordered some DOM tube to make the arms from, and some suspension brackets from Jack at Kinetic Vehicles. I tried to make my own brackets but it was an absolute pain to get just one done, and for $4.50 a piece I’m not going to put my mental health, or what’s left of it, on the line.

Finally, I found an add on bargainnews.com for a Camaro that intrigued me. I called the owner and he said, in many, many more words, that it was sold the day the add went up (and that apparently the new owner stole the tools that the previous had left in the boot). Oh well, getting the drive train  in is still far away.

Tomorrow should be a big shop day, and hopefully I can get some pictures of the progress.

Rear Axle

A few days ago I picked up the rear axle I will be using for my car. It came from an early ’90′s Chevy Camaro that I was lucky enough to catch at the junk yard as it was being towed in. I’ve spent a few days cutting off the old brackets and cleaning it all up with a wire brush wheel, and it’s coming along nicely. I’ve ordered some rod ends and other suspension bits from Kinetic Vehicles, and am still working out the suspension dimensions. My goal is to have it rolling on it’s own wheels by the time my brother gets home from Iraq, should be around September. Then I can have him push me around in it!

The rear axle. Removing some brackets. Approximate ride height.