Archive for the 'chassis' Category

More frame…

Finally moved on to more than just 1″ square tube, as I made it to the section that will form the boot. Containing the fuel cell, rear axle, and the tiny bit of luggage it will hold, this part was very important. The 4″ steel plate that holds both the roll bar and the rear shocks was tacked into place, and some of the 3/4″ tube was cut and tacked. A trip with my buddies to Disney World interrupted the build but it was a great time, and now it’s back to work. I hope to get the round tube needed to form the bend in the boot this week, and hope to find a shop that will bend my roll bar for me. I had some 1″ round tube that was intended for another project in the garage and it should make a fine roll bar. I plan on using an angled cross bar and a pair of legs extending to the rear of the frame to keep the roll bar strong. Beside the frame work I hope to get some actual parts this week, either a rear axle or uprights so I can get the suspension going.

Also after giving the frame and overall plan a once over by Andrew, I gained some needed confidence in the project. Hopefully our days of cruising around town on mopeds will soon be relived in our Locosts.

  Me with frameroll bar mountsboot1

Almost Summer!

Well a lot has happened since the last update, just haven’t had time to write. Finals start next week so I’ve been busy playing catch up. The Locost is looking more and more like a car every time I look at it, so even though I have only had a few hours each weekend to work on it, it is coming along. While I was cutting some sections last week my angle grinder died. I don’t know what happened, it was working fine and then just didn’t turn back on. So I brought it to Sears and as luck would have it I had purchased the 2 year replacement agreement when I bought the grinder. So for $10 or so (for the warranty) I got a brand new grinder and more grinding disks. I continued the tiring algorithm of measure, measure, cut, grind, weld, double check. As of this morning I have made it through section “Q”, the top of the firewall. Once finals are over this thing should be flying together! Also, my friend Andrew is home from Georgia Tech and should be able to give me some pointers, as he is along quite well in his build. Stay tuned!

section L Section Q Toosl of the Trade

Tacking the frame

Yesterday I got another big day in, 5 or 6 hours. Grinding and tack welding the frame went rather smoothly. I spent a while doing research today, looking at bits I’ll need later on down the road. I found a few steering racks on Ebay that looked promising, as well as a few seat options. Seats are expensive, but getting something comfortable and safe will surely be worth a few dollars. I took the frame down to compare it to my car, as in the photo below, and got a sense of how tiny this car will be.

Frame Comparison Tacking the frame

Getting the frame together.

The Locost is under way! I had less work than normal this weekend, giving me loads of time to get started on the frame. I also had no class Monday, allowing me to put in a whopping 8.5 hours of work there. Anyway to the actual progress:

I began the weekend by getting everything ready. My chop saw took some adjusting (read my review about it on the tools page) and the gas regulator on my welder was broken. Not off to a great start but not being able to weld gave me time to measure, measure, measure and cut. I got through cutting the entire bottom section, and a bag of beef jerky, by the time work started Friday. Saturday I would get in just a few cuts before work, and nothing much on Sunday (you guessed it, work!). Finally Monday came and I got an early start, getting up at 8:00 and setting off to purchase a new regulator. It wasn’t cheap but I got a regulator, and after an hour of smashing away with 6ft cheater bars, I switched the couplings from the broken regulator to the new. I continued cutting tubes until I got through tube”O” (for those of you playing the home game). I skipped the”L” tubes, as I didn’t feel like messing with that nonsense on that particular day, but found this thread very helpful. I will tackle that and the upper tubes next weekend, and hopefully have a completed frame

I also included a few pictures of how I cut a 50 degree angle with the chop saw that only goes to 45 degrees. I just wedged an angle of cut off in there, and clamped the bugger down. Using a protractor, I got it to the right mark and had at it.

Frame Under Construction 1 Frame Under Construction 2 Frame Under Construction 3 Frame Under Construction 4 50 Degree Cut 1 50 Degree Cut 2 50 Degree Cut 3 50 Degree Cut 4

The Lucky 7

At the time of this build log I had already gotten started, so here is where I’m at so far:

  • The name was chosen because I began the build on St. Patrick’s Day and it just seemed to fit.
  • I have the build table all set up, built following a design by my friend Andrew. His build can be found here: GATechLocost.com.
  • I purchased the steel for the frame, and a chop saw for the cutting.

So all I need now is some time and I can get going!

More build table. Laying down the lines. Build table in progress